Sunday, September 1, 2013

August BirchBox Reviews

Howdy Calendar Girls!

As I said in my first August BirchBox post, I got this box really early in the month, so I've had plenty of time to test out all my samples!

 

First up is Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo. I was definitely looking forward to trying this in the hopes that it would help untangle my pool-damaged hair and it actually did! They aren't joking about its super slippery-ness either! It was almost like washing my hair with a serum, but it was so effective and left my hair so smooth and silky! Also, I couldn't really detect a scent (so if it is scented, it's very subtle) which I didn't mind at all because we know I don't like overpowering fragrances when it comes to bath products! I definitely want to purchase a full-size of this!


Next are the Jasmine Seven Fresh Feet Wipes. I used these after a busy day out in my favorite flip flops and they worked quite nicely to clean up my feet a bit and help me feel more refreshed. They have a nice, cool peppermint scent that definitely helps with the whole "refreshing" feeling. I like that the samples are in single-use packs because that's great for tossing in your purse before heading out for the day, but on the BirchBox site they're sold in a multi-pack. I think I'll stick to baby wipes since I already have those on hand. I wouldn't spend the extra money to buy wipes made specifically for feet, but I did enjoy the sample. It was a little something different. :)


I loved the packaging of the ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick! It's very clean and simple and my favorite part--the lid has a clear window, so you can see the product inside. While I wasn't a fan of the color I received, Red Velvet, I did wear it around my house a lot so I could give you guys an accurate review. I don't feel like this is actually "party proof" as it wore off within half an hour. I wish I loved the inside as much as the outside of this product. I won't be purchasing it.


I'm still undecided about the Juice Beauty Oil-Free Moisturizer. It moisturizes well enough and goes on smoothly with its thin consistency, but the scent could be much better! The smell reminds me of something you might mop your kitchen floor with. It didn't seem to clog my pores or make my acne worse, though, so that's good. I probably won't purchase the full-size.

Colors (as shown in bottom photo) are (clockwise from top left): Dark Chocolate, Chocolatier, Pale Nude, and Gypsy Blue.

As I mentioned in my other post, the Coastal Scents Eye Shadow Quad in Power Trip sample arrived slightly damaged. I contacted BirchBox customer service and while they weren't able to replace the sample because they were out of stock, they did offer another form of compensation that I was extremely satisfied with! :) In the meantime, my awesome friend Laura showed me how to reset it, so I was actually able to repair that pretty blue color.
Anyway, this quad really is great for creating the perfect smoky eye! All of the colors were nicely pigmented and blended well and I just love the little gold pigments throughout Gypsy Blue and Dark Chocolate! I didn't notice any particular scent, even though the brand is called Coastal Scents, but that was fine by me because I don't really like heavily scented products. Here's a smoky eye look that I created using this quad:


For this look, I first applied a Milani Shadow Primer as a base, then I used Pale Nude to highlight my brow bone. After that, I used a flat shadow brush to sweep the Dark Chocolate color over my entire lid and an angled defining brush to apply Gypsy Blue to my outer corner. I blended that all with my new blending brush and finally, I applied Chocolatier to my upper and lower lash lines with a small angled brush. I didn't apply any eyeliner or mascara in this pic because I wanted to showcase the eye shadow alone. I really enjoyed playing around with this sample and I definitely plan to order the 88 shade palette from BirchBox.com!

Okay, those are my reviews for August! I hope you enjoyed reading about all the fun samples I received! Which was your favorite? Let me know in the comments!

Oh! And remember, if you'd like me to send you an invite to subscribe to your own BirchBox, leave your email address in a comment below! Thanks for reading!

-Manda

No comments: